St Ives Cricket Club
Point of contact:
Secretary – Jon Swannell on 01736 796707,
or Sean Pulley 01736 796631 (Youth).
Cricket has been played in the Town intermittently since the mid-1800s.
‘The Penzance Journal’ of 21st June 1848 reports a match, for which H L Stevens of Tregenna Castle, donated 3 guineas for the purchase of equipment.
The following year on 20th June ‘The Penzance Gazette’ reports “30 of the respectable inhabitants” of the town met to form a Club. In 1902, the St Ives Cricket Club, with the support of Edward Hain, became one of the founding members of The West Penwith League joining the Cornwall Cricket League in 1939.
The present incarnation of the Club grew out of a friendly side composed of staff at the local Secondary Modern School, and to this day plays at the school site.
In 1982 the team was boosted by local players and once again entered into the Cornwall Cricket League. Today the Club fields two teams in the Cornwall Cricket League playing on Saturdays in Divisions 3 and 5; an evening team playing on Tuesdays in the West Penwith League, and three junior sides, under11,13 and 15.
2013 saw the club achieve Clubmark re-accreditation for the second time, whilst remaining a Focus Club and securing ‘Chance to Shine’ in association with local schools from February 2014
If you would like to find out more about the club, become involved as a player, official, or volunteer, or make enquiries about visiting us as a touring side then please contact us using the contact information above.