Bible Christian Chapel
The Bible Christians came into being in the town in 1829 and would seem to have used various lofts for meetings, as they had several frustrating years trying to obtain land to build a chapel, until 1858. It was then that they were able to obtain the chapel in St Peter’s St, from the Wesleyans, itself having been built in 1824, enlarging it and adding a school room.
In 1871 it was extended and again in 1887, but over the years fortunes fluctuated with wealth in money and numbers. It eventually came into the full Methodist fold.